Raildude - InterRail - EuRail - Train tickets
Raildude Facebook
Raildude Google
Raildude Twitter
Raildude Pinterest
Raildude Youtube
Raildude
Plan it... Book it! It's that easy to travel by train in Europe.
Raildude is official online partner of Deutsche Bahn
Raildude is official online partner of Deutsche Bahn
Train tickets
SPAIN
RENFE
Train tickets
RUSSIA
RZD
Eurostar
Thalys
B-RAIL
BOOKING.COM
Buy InterRail
buy InterRail
Train tickets
GERMANY
DEUTSCHE BAHN
Train tickets
FRANCE
SNCF
Train tickets
SCANDINAVIA
SCANDINAVIA
Train tickets
NETHERLANDS
NS
Hostelbookers
Buy EuRail
buy EuRail
Train tickets
ITALY
TRENITALIA
Point to point tickets
point to point tickets
Raildude - Dudes
Raildude at Facebook
Hostelworld

BODÖ - NARVIK - bus or via LOFOTEN islands

BODÖ - NARVIK - bus or via LOFOTEN islands

Postby Peter » 21 May 2008 - 13:28

BODØ - NARVIK - ship (Hurtigruten) or bus via LOFOTEN
How to cover the railway gap between Narvik and Bodö in Norway.

The Norwegian rail network ends up Bodö coming from the South. To get to Narvik, where you have access to the Swedish rail network, use either a bus or think about a little detour via the Lofoten islands. An amazing scenic trip and definitely worth to travel!

BUS:
Bodö - Narvik: http://www.raildude.com/en/train-connec ... norway/595
Details to the bus connection: http://www.raildude.com/en/bod%C3%B8-na ... n/12195/12
Narvik - Bodö: http://www.raildude.com/en/train-connec ... norway/594
Details to the bus connection: http://www.raildude.com/en/narvik-bod%C ... n/10862/11

Via the LOFOTEN islands:
Walk to the ferry terminal in the South-West of the railway station: http://www.raildude.com/en/bod%C3%B8/station/l/12195
Bodö to Svolvaer by ferry: http://www.raildude.com/en/train-connec ... orway/1104
More details: http://www.raildude.com/en/bod%C3%B8-sv ... y/12195/46
Svolvaer to Narvik by bus: http://www.raildude.com/en/train-connec ... norway/916
More details: http://www.raildude.com/en/svolv%C3%A6r ... n/12510/19

You also have the option to travel by ferry from Bodö to Moskenes. From there you travel by local bus to Svolvaer. Here you have a change to the bus to Narvik.

OVERVIEW:
If you want to do it on the cheap and fast way, use the bus from Bodø to Narvik.
If you want to use a ship and do not spend a lot of money, use version Bodö-Svolvaer-Narvik.
A bit more expensive is the route Bodö-Moskenes-Svolvaer-Narvik.
On the Lofoten islands you will find a lot of campsites. But it is also no problem to just sleep somwhere in your sleeping bag. Very relaxed and friendly there on the islands. :)

Update: Sep 2014
Peter
administrator

BOOKING.COM - Book online
Good hotels for the whole of Europe. Book easily and quickly in advance. Including ratings of each location.
Book online
Book online
Book online

BODØ - NARVIK | ship (Hurtigruten) or bus via LOFOTEN

Postby AlphaOmega » 22 May 2008 - 11:15

You can also take Hurtigruten from Bodø to Harstad (16h, 425nok for students) and take a bus from there to Narvik (3h, 94nok for students)

did it last week, it was awesome. though i have to say the ferry can be very touristic (filled with germans). Still sucks I couldn't go all the way to Kirkenas though, met a guy on the ship who did, saw pictures, me jealous.

Will go this winter during the polar nights to have a peek at them northern lights ^^

AO.

edit: when i was in Bodø I inquired about the bus, too, I believe they said there wasn't a discount for students, but there was a discount for Interrail. The price was 271 (with discount) If I'm correct.
AlphaOmega

Postby swoo » 06 Jun 2008 - 20:27

hi, I am not a student anymore, could I get discount to take the Hurtigruten ship by holding an interrail pass, thanks for your help!
:D
swoo

Postby Knut » 10 Nov 2008 - 13:17

Yes, you get an Interrail discount.

This Summer I've done this and found a very cheap method:

- By train to Bodø.
- With Hurtigruten to A on Lofoten (125NOK) - I took the last or first ship depends on how you count.
- There was a lot of tourist buses in A.
- I hitchhiked first to Leknes. Very nice place with supermarket etc.
- Then with another tourist bus (around 12th July there was a lot of them) which took me for free to Svolvaer.
- And from Svolvaer I got for free with tourist bus to Narvik.

Just try to hitchhike with them, normally they pick you up.

Greetings Knut
Knut

BODØ to NARVIK (Hurtigruten) by ship or bus via LOFOTEN

Postby matthias » 03 May 2009 - 21:14

Peter wrote:The Norwegian rail network ends up when travelling via Norway to the North in Bodø.
2) Lofoten: Ferry Bodø to Moskenes. From there you travel by local bus to Svolvaer. Here change to the bus to Narvik (number 761 Lofoten Ekspressen) for about 50 EUR for adults (students get a 50% discount).
3) Lofoten: by the Hurtigruten (ship) from Bodø to Svolvaer (50 EUR for adults, 25 for students; one-way). then continue by bus to Narvik (number 761 Lofoten Ekspressen) for about 50 EUR for adults (students get a 50% discount).

well, i'm searching for options to move from Bodø to Andenes. with station in Røst, Værøy and .

yes, there are ferries from Bodø to Moskenes via Værøy and Røst. sounds like a good option. does anyone knows how much you paid for this ferry?
from Moskenes there are buses to Svolvaer. Then i would like to go to and further to Andenes.

what is the best solution? buses, ferries,...? Who has experience?
and who knows the price for the buses, respectively ferries and for Hurtigruten from Risøyhamn to Bodø?

thank you in advance.
matthew.
matthias

Postby drpimento » 08 Jun 2009 - 01:29

Hello all - I'm happy to see this topic being discussed as I am planning at this moment on how to spend a day on Lofoten. I arrive 9ish in the morning at Bodo and then want to take a train from Narvik later in the day. I would have liked to spend at least a night here, but I'm already several days behind my schedule. Be good to have a beer and chat with any of you sometime. Cheers!
drpimento
standard

Postby Peter » 08 Jun 2009 - 13:49

I just came back 5 days ago from Narvik - and also did a short visit to the Lofoten... take a bus from Bodo to Narvik and stay there overnight - do not take the night train from Narvik down to Southern-Sweden or at least (right now it never gets dark there at night) try to start at day light from Narvik via Absiko to Kiruna - definitely worth seeing it. :)
Peter
administrator

Postby wr0429 » 09 Apr 2010 - 23:32

Hi there,

after reading the whole thread, I still have some questions and hope, you can help me.

I want to take the ferry from Bodo to Moskens and then a bus to A. There I want to spend the night ... can anybody advise a campsite to me? Or does anybody know if it´s allowed to camp everywhere in Norway (like in Sweden)?

From A I want to take the bus to Narvik. Now my 2nd question: how much is charge? On the homepage I find the travelling times, but no charges.

I hope you can answer my questions.

Yours Kai
wr0429

Postby Elanor » 01 Jul 2010 - 21:50

Is all this also possible the other way round, say for example ship option 2, from Narvik to Svolvaer, to Moskenes and by ferry to Bodo?
Elanor

Postby flow » 01 Jul 2010 - 21:58

Yup. :)
flow
administrator

Postby Peter » 09 Aug 2010 - 10:33

Hi.

The ferry is no problem for foot-passengers. And the bus as well - no problem to get a seat.
If you want to be sure, ask again at the bus company, but as much as I know they have a guarantee that you get a seat without booking in advance. Never hat problems with them.

Peter :)
Peter
administrator

Postby goncalosilva » 19 Mar 2011 - 21:58

Hello everyone,

The only routes I can find are from Bodo to A i Lofoten, where can I find schedules for the other way around? I would like to plan my trip.
Other question, I'm going from Narvik to A i Lofoten via Svolvaer (http://www.vitaminw.no/kunde/cominor/Fi ... st2010.PDF). The port to catch the ferry o Bodo is exactly in A i Lofoten or is it in Moskenes, like you posted Peter?!

Cheers :)
Gonçalo
goncalosilva
standard

Postby flow » 20 Mar 2011 - 02:11

flow
administrator

Postby goncalosilva » 20 Mar 2011 - 02:39

I meant the ferry shedules, sorry.

What I would like to know is at what time I can leave A i Lofoten (by ferry) to go to Bodoe.
According to my plan I have a day left of my interrail ticket. Should I spend it in A i Lofoten, in Bodo or in Trondheim?

Thanks ;D
goncalosilva
standard

Postby goncalosilva » 27 Mar 2011 - 21:40

Hej everyone,
I intend to go from A i Lofoten to Bodo on April 29th. Are there any ferries during that time of the year? Because a friend told me that it was only on summer time.

Cheers ;D
goncalosilva
standard

Postby flow » 27 Mar 2011 - 23:49

Hi,

I dont think there are any ferries running to/from A.

Check the schedules of Lofoten ferries here: :arrow: http://www.thn.no/ :)

Regarding your above question: Trondheim is not that interesting, if the whether is nice I would spend an extra day on the Lofoten. Bodo is quite dull too, so as long as your train connections work out, stay at the Lofoten. :)

Flo 8)
flow
administrator

Postby goncalosilva » 27 Mar 2011 - 23:56

Thanks Flow! So, the nearest place from A i Lofoten to catch a ferry to Bodo is Moskenes, right? Are there regular buses beteen A i Lofoten and Moskenes?
Another question, should I catch the ferry that goes by the islands Rost and Vaeroy?! Are they worth seeing?

Thank you ;D
goncalosilva
standard

Postby flow » 28 Mar 2011 - 00:16

Yup, go to Moskenes. You will find the bus schedules in the link I posted some days ago. ;)

Regarding Rost/Varoy...never been there but I would not think there are many differences to the Lofoten. And I dont think that ferry schedules are that frequent so you would probably have to stay there overnight, might be a little complicated for only one day.
flow
administrator

Postby goncalosilva » 28 Mar 2011 - 00:24

Thanks for the bus schedules ;D
Yeah, I'm staying overnight. I'm getting to Lofoten from Narvik by bus on the 29th of April at 22:45, so I stay one night in Lofoten and on the 30th I'll try to get a ferry to Bodo.

Thank you for everything Flow,
Cheers ;D
goncalosilva
standard

Postby michaelborkowski » 11 Apr 2011 - 21:32

Hello,

Thank you for summing all that information up so far!!
I want to go on an InterRail trip this summer to Finland, Sweden and Norway. Now I have two questions:

1. Can I go the other way (from Narvik to Bodø) by bus as well? I've seen this being answered for the ferry variant. :-)
2. Is this bus (720 I think?) still active? I can't find it on the nor-way.no website... :-( I was looking for its timetables (which would come in handy as well)!

Thank you guys! :-)

Mike
michaelborkowski
standard

Postby flow » 14 Apr 2011 - 00:27

Hi Mike!

1) Yes.
2) 720 timetables: http://www.vitaminw.no/kunde/cominor/Fi ... Salten.pdf

Flo 8)
flow
administrator

Postby michaelborkowski » 14 Apr 2011 - 01:03

You are a genius!
Thanks for allowing foreigners without knowledge of the local language to find information! :-)

I'm sure I'll post a few other questions around here soon ;-)

Mike
michaelborkowski
standard

Postby flow » 14 Apr 2011 - 11:38

You're welcome. ;)
flow
administrator

Postby jens90 » 29 May 2011 - 11:47

do you know if this bus is still running? The timetable you posted is only valid till the end of April and on the nor-way website, there is no bus for the Lofoten?

Edit: http://bussrute.net/bussrnet/nordnorge/ I found another bus going between the Lofoten and Narvik. Just click on Lofotenekspressen, and you should get a leaflet. there you can find the bus.
jens90

Postby flow » 30 May 2011 - 12:21

Yup, it should be that "Lofotenexpressen". :)
flow
administrator

Postby railgirl » 21 Jun 2011 - 18:41

I tried to find the schedules (for mid July) on rutebok.no and nor-way.no, but couldn't find them. nor-way.no doesn't seem to recognize bodo and narvik as stations, and rutebok.no says there is no bus between narvik and bodo. Is this true? Am I doing something wrong?
railgirl

Postby Claude » 03 Jul 2011 - 14:22

Hi there,

I'm planning to visit the Lofoten this summer and afterwards to take the "Lofotenekspressen" to Narvik and from there directly by train to Lulea. Now my question is, how accurate are the bus timetables? Because if all should go well i have about 40 minutes time to change from bus to train, which should be enough I guess, but if I'm late then the chance seems quite high that i will be stranded in Narvik for a day.
Could anybody share his/her experience about that?

Thank you!
Claude
standard

Postby Chronos » 06 Mar 2012 - 18:58

Does anyone have experience taking the bus from Narvik to Leknes/ Ballstad? I can't seem to find the fares (a lot of information about reductions and such, but no prices).
Chronos
special user

Postby nltrainer » 08 Mar 2012 - 04:02

1. Buses or in fact any transpo in No tends to be VERY expensive.
2. as about anywhere in EUR it is organised by the provinces (Fylker) and most have set pricing for all buses in them.
3.check times via rutebok.no-it will tell who is the organiser and google for that and try to find the info. Norsk is not that hard to understand-or use google trsl. If youy had taken the tiny trouble to tell where you found the info?? on reduksjoner- maybe that would have helped too.
As very rough estimate: think of 1,2 - 1,5 NOK/km -the further north-the higher the price- and round till higher round figure. (like 40 for 36 as 30km x1,2 etc.)
nltrainer
standard

Postby flow » 08 Mar 2012 - 15:15

Hi Chronos,

we took the bus Narvik - Svolvaer in summer 2010 and paid 213 NOK (per person, including InterRail discount).
So for Leknes, I'd calculate with around 300+ NOK...I'll try to look up prices.

Flo 8)
flow
administrator

Next

Return to Norway