Raildude - InterRail - EuRail - Train tickets
Raildude Facebook
Raildude Google
Raildude Twitter
Raildude Pinterest
Raildude Youtube
Plan it... Book it! It's that easy to travel by train in Europe.
Raildude is official online partner of Deutsche Bahn
Raildude is official online partner of Deutsche Bahn
Train tickets
SPAIN
RENFE
Train tickets
RUSSIA
RZD
Eurostar
Thalys
B-RAIL
BOOKING.COM
Buy InterRail
buy InterRail
Train tickets
GERMANY
DEUTSCHE BAHN
Train tickets
FRANCE
SNCF
Train tickets
SCANDINAVIA
SCANDINAVIA
Train tickets
NETHERLANDS
NS
Hostelbookers
Buy EuRail
buy EuRail
Train tickets
ITALY
TRENITALIA
Point to point tickets
point to point tickets
Raildude - Dudes
Raildude at Facebook
Hostelworld

BUCHAREST - ISTANBUL - night train (BOSFOR)

Postby Peter » 14 Jan 2010 - 17:27

BUCHAREST (Bucuresti) - ISTANBUL | night train (BOSFOR) | D 461 | name: BOSFOR
Information for Interrail, Eurail travellers and persons with normal train ticket travelling by night train from Bucharest (Romania) to Istanbul (Turkey).

The direct night train from Bucharest to Istanbul is currently replaced by a bus on the part from the Bulgarian-Turkish border until Istanbul.

More information at Raildude.
Bucharest - Istanbul: http://www.raildude.com/en/train-connec ... turkey/238
Istanbul - Bucharest: http://www.raildude.com/en/train-connec ... omania/502

Older information

TIMETABLE:
Bucuresti Nord Gr. A Dep: 1213
Istanbul Sirkeci Arr: 0750

Sleeper - SINGLE | 1-bed-compartment
Rail pass fare: EUR 75
Standard fare: EUR 135

Sleeper - DOUBLE | 2-bed-compartment
Rail pass fare: EUR 35
Standard fare: EUR 75

Sleeper - TRIPLE T3 | 3-bed-compartment
Rail pass fare: EUR 24
Standard fare: EUR 63

Couchette | 6-bed-compartment
Rail pass fare: EUR 9
Standard fare: EUR 50

The cheapest way will be to buy the reservation for your bed directly in Bucharest or Istanbul !

Update: Sep 2013
Peter
Raildude

Buy InterRail
Buy InterRail
Buy InterRail
Buy EuRail
Buy EuRail
Buy EuRail
Train tickets
Train tickets
Train tickets
Why buy my rail tickets on Raildude? With your purchase you directly support the Raildude project - work done by real travelers. Official tickets and rail passes. Good prices! FREE shipping is possible. We offer personal and professional service. We are not just an anonymous rail ticket outlet. Online since 1996.

BUCHAREST (Bucuresti) - ISTANBUL | night train (BOSFOR)

Postby Petipatapon » 25 Aug 2010 - 00:54

It seems that the train between Bucharest and Istanbul works or not. On the obb website, it doesnt appear, but I can find it on the dutch bahn website.. Departure 12h30 in Bucharest, arrival 7h50 in Istanbul. Does anyone can confirm this information?
Petipatapon

Postby Peter » 25 Aug 2010 - 07:42

Hi.
The train is definitely running like mentioned above. I checked it twice - online and as well in the Thomas Cook European timetables.
Peter :)
Peter
Raildude

Postby Natasha86 » 11 Aug 2011 - 00:33

Is there any way of booking this route online, prior to getting to Bucharest?
Natasha86
standard

Postby Peter » 11 Aug 2011 - 13:22

Hi.
No, it is not possible to book this route online in advance.
What you can try is to get the reservation before in an other country you are travelling. Hungary, Austria, Germany, ...
Or simply buy it at the day you arrive in Bucharest - then stay some days there. Should be fine as well.
Peter
Raildude

Postby Natasha86 » 11 Aug 2011 - 20:13

Thanks Peter,

I've been planning this trip for a while now, not been able to find anywhere to book in advance, so you've pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

I fly into Bucharest from the UK, so will book at Gara Nord before my round trip in Transylvania, then Istanbul bound I will be!
Natasha86
standard

Postby facundoolano » 08 Apr 2012 - 14:28

The pass fares listed here are valid for Eurail passes or just Interrail?
facundoolano
standard

Postby Peter » 08 Apr 2012 - 16:49

Hi.
Just follow the link given above ("UPDATE"): http://www.raildude.com/en/bucharest-is ... /10971/134
There all fares are listed.
Peter
Raildude

Postby facundoolano » 29 Apr 2012 - 09:33

I probably wasn't clear enough on my question, so I fill in the details for others. The Eurail pass is currently not valid in Turkey, therefore to take the Bosfor is necessary to buy a ticket fot the turkish leg of the trip besides the reservation. This was between Kapikule and Istanbul and costed around 15 euros. The train is not currently working in this part of the trip, so they move you to a bus in Kapikule after the border control.
facundoolano
standard

Postby nltrainer » 29 Apr 2012 - 15:11

forget the train for now-simply book yourself into a TURKish bus all the way from BUc-much cheaper and faster, as the sleeper is aboutunusable anyway for this short remainign sector.
nltrainer
standard

Postby Cakeyface » 24 May 2012 - 12:46

How do I get from Bucharest to Istanbul by night train? How do I buy the tickets? Will I have to buy them in Bucharest or can I buy them in another train station in Europe? I'll be in Paris, Venice, Vienna and Budapest. I'm just a bit worried that the tickets will be sold out if I get try to get them in Bucharest (I'm arriving there at about 11am and intend to leave a few hours later for Istanbul). Or is it possible to buy the tickets in London somewhere?
Cakeyface
standard

Postby flow » 24 May 2012 - 13:11

Hi,

you for this train you will need a ticket plus a reservation (for couchette or sleeper). You should be able to buy them at most major train stations along your route. I would recommend to buy the ticket in Bucharest or Budapest as it will be cheaper there than in Western Europe, if you want to be 100% sure to get a place buy your reservation separately earlier. However, I dont think the train will be fully booked so you should be save buying both in Budapest for instance. Anyway, have you thought about getting a 5in10 IR pass for your trip - could be worth it?

Flo 8)
flow
Raildude

Postby Cakeyface » 24 May 2012 - 13:34

Hi Flo,

I am getting a 5in10 pass. The interrail website sells them with an optional (£8) insurance if your pass is lost or stolen. Do you think it's worth getting this considering I will be getting other travel insurance anyway? (From a different company).

I've heard that trains aren't running into turkey because of some network upgrade. So does that mean we'd be put on a coach the rest of the way? Would the ticket cover this cost?

Matthew
Cakeyface
standard

Postby flow » 24 May 2012 - 13:40

Hi Matthew,

if you want to support our work here and all the information you get from this website, please purchase your IR pass from our shop - official prices, free delivery to the UK plus all the information from experiences IR travellers. Thank you. :)
:arrow: http://shop.raildude.com/#/pass/interra ... al_passes/

Personally I dont think you need the extra insurance, I have travelled 10+ times with IR passes and never lost or got stolen my pass. Check what is covered with your standard travel insurance and save the money for some extra beers or so. :)
While travelling, put your IR pass, passport and some cash in a pouch which you can wear under your clothes, especially while travelling this is the safest thing to do.

You are right, currently (and on till 2013) there are construction works in Turkey, from the border station of Kapikule till Istanbul there is a bus replacement service which of course is covered by your ticket. However, this means getting up late at night for the last bit to Istanbul. :? Unfortunately there is no alternative travel route.

Flo 8)
flow
Raildude

Postby nltrainer » 24 May 2012 - 14:06

Cakeyface wrote:How do I get from Bucharest to Istanbul by night train? ?

READ closely above; this train does NOT run all the way and IMHO it makes no sense to be put waiting for hours on a bus in the mid of night when you can also take a through bus right in Bucuresti. and be there much faster.
This traineven when it still ran hardly ever sold out-even when it had just 2 or 3 wagons left. The crooks, tricks and scams were more to worry about as these eternal ''fullness'' that young people seem to fear so much.
nltrainer
standard

Postby charliegrosso » 12 Jun 2012 - 03:22

Hi,

I am looking to travel from Istanbul to Bucharest. I am wondering what is the best way to go. I already paid for a eurail pass and do you advise that I take the bus to the boarder then train it the rest of the way? or is it better if I just take a sleeper bus all the way?

If I do the bus+train combo, do I need to arrange for it all separately, as in, I go to the bus station for a ticket to the boarder and then a train ticket from the boarder to Bucharest (does it route to you Sofia? or does it go straight up to Bucharest) or if the arrangement of the train ticket in Istanbul will automatically take care of the bus portion?

Thank so much for your info.
charliegrosso
standard

Postby Peter » 12 Jun 2012 - 08:17

Hi.
The connection Istanbul to Bucharest is a bit complicate this summer, like you already read above.
But now worries, you can do it by train.
Note, there are two parts of this direct train replaced by bus services, which are included in train tickets (as long as they are valid for this route).
Replacement on Istanbul to Kapikule (the border to Bulgaria) and again on Dimitrovrgrad to Stara Zagora (about 1 hour by bus).
As you travel by Eurail, you can not travel for free in Turkey. I personally prefer traveling by train as it is much more relaxing (even in older Easter European cars) than sitting in a bus full of humans.
But in you case, traveling by bus might be the cheaper/easier solution - but again: more adventure is the train! :)
Have a sunny trip, Peter :)
Peter
Raildude

Postby flow » 12 Jun 2012 - 11:59

I would go by bus to Burgas, then continue by train to Bucuresti.
flow
Raildude

Postby Stedine » 14 Jun 2013 - 15:16

I want to go from Buchuresti to Istanbul in the summer, but I'm not sure how. So how does it work with the bus, i did'nt understand it well... I will take a normal ticket...
Stedine
standard

Postby Peter » 14 Jun 2013 - 15:20

Hi.
Buy a normal train ticket Bucharest to Istanbul. There are still construction works in Turkey. So if the train can't get its full way to Istanbul, this part is replaced by a bus. The bus is included in your train ticket. You will arrive in Istanbul!
The bus simply replaces the train on parts where the train can not use the tracks.
Peter
Raildude

Postby CesarAli » 15 Jun 2014 - 11:36

I did the trip last year and theres a 30 mins bus replacement in Bulgaria and then the train takes you to Istanbul 20 mins from centrum where a bus will get you to Centrum :).
CesarAli
special user

Postby PascalGeneva » 07 Jul 2014 - 14:29

Hi!

Currently we are staying in Bucharest, propably heading to Istanbul in a couple of days.
Are there any new informations about the journey?

The lady at the ticket booth in Bucharest informed us, that several changes by bus (as you said before)
are inbetween. Do you know how much time we would have to spent in the busses? Train - bus - train - bus? Did it all work?
There's no sleeping train on the track, so propably worth to reservate?
Does the time of the complete journey from Bucharest to Istanbul stays more or less the same?

Thank you very much for your help!
PascalGeneva
standard

Postby kalinka » 07 Jul 2014 - 15:46

Hi,
please read "Bucharest-Istanbul"on the Romania-page. There you will find more information (you will have to take different busses from Gorna Orjahovica to Istanbul, but you probably will arrive Istanbul the same time as the train used to do).
kalinka
standard

Return to Romania