Train tickets
ITALY
TRENITALIA
Point to point tickets
point to point tickets
Raildude - Dudes
Raildude at Facebook
Hostelworld

FERRY: ITALY - GREECE (Bari, Ancona, Igoumenitsa, Patras)

Postby Peter » 06 Jun 2008 - 12:27

There are two ferry companies which offer this "free" crossing from Italy to Greece and back.
The official information for this summer is:

UPDATE:
Ancona - Igoumenitsa - Patras: http://www.raildude.com/en/ancona-patra ... y/10654/10

:arrow: Attica Enterprises
Blue Star Ferries: http://www.bluestarferries.com
Superfast Ferries: http://www.superfast.com

If you have an InterRail Global Pass or an One Country InterRail Greece PLUS Pass you can use the following ferry for "free" (deck passage):

Patras / Igoumenitsa (Greece) to Ancona / Bari (Italy)

Supplements:
June and September: 10 EUR per person
July and August: 20 EUR per person + fuel surcharge (4 EUR) + port taxes

More information: http://www.superfast.com/site/content.asp?sel=434&loc=2

Example per person, one-way:
port dues, 7.00 EUR
fuel surcharge, 10 EUR
high Season supplement, 20 EUR
air seats, 18 EUR (you don't need them when sitting just on deck)

:arrow: Minoan Lines
http://www.minoan.gr

Only with an InterRail Global Pass you get a "free" deck passage on the routes:

Patras - Igoumenitsa - Ancona
Patras – Corfu – Igoumenitsa - Venice

Supplements:
June and September: 16 EUR
July and August: 26 EUR (attention: you DON'T have to pay port taxes !!!)

Upgrades for cabins:
50% on the official prices (based on availability)

:arrow: Hellenic Mediterranean Lines (HML)
http://www.hml.it

Route: Patras (Greece) to Brindisi (Italy)

You don't travel for free, but you get a discount on all categories (except the luxury cabin) of:
- 25% in high season (15 June to 15 September)
- 50% outside the high season

Information and booking
Brindisi
phone: +39 0831 528 531
email: resa@hml.it
Rome
phone: +39 06 4740141
email: hml.roma@tiscalinet.it.

:arrow: If you are travelling with an InterRail pass "XX days out of YY days", you need only ONE of your InterRail pass travel-days.
just choose if you want to fill in the departure day or the arrival day of the ferry - as the ferry runs overnight.

:arrow: Buy your ticket always at their official offices !!!

Update: September 2010
Peter
Raildude

Buy InterRail
Buy InterRail
Buy InterRail
Buy EuRail
Buy EuRail
Buy EuRail
Train tickets
Train tickets
Train tickets
Why buy my rail tickets on Raildude? With your purchase you directly support the Raildude project - work done by real travelers. Official tickets and rail passes. Good prices! FREE shipping is possible. We offer personal and professional service. We are not just an anonymous rail ticket outlet. Online since 1996.

Postby Martinina » 27 Aug 2008 - 10:32

I want to use the fairy Patras/Corfu-Venice or Ancona.

How does it work? Can I just come and go on deck or do I have to reservate my passage before? Where?

Is the fairy still passing in the first days of October?

Thanks a lot for your replies!

MArti
Martinina

Postby Peter » 27 Aug 2008 - 20:30

just go to the harbour to the ticket office and buy the ticket by telling that you travel with Interrail. and the ships are running the whole year... :)
Peter
Raildude

Re: FERRY: Italy - Greece (Bari, Ancona, Igoumenitsa, Patras)

Postby CARLITOSLITOS » 24 Mar 2009 - 10:50

hi my name is carlos i will buy the global pass 30 days and i want to know how can i go from the south of italy (brindisi or bari) to athenes, grece and how log will be the trip to go and back? (en moyene) , and if with this pass i can take trains betwen patras and athenes and in all grece?
Carlos SUAREZ
CARLITOSLITOS

Re: FERRY: Italy - Greece (Bari, Ancona, Igoumenitsa, Patras

Postby Peter » 24 Mar 2009 - 11:14

hi Carlos ...
you have to calculate it like this:
Departure of the ferry in Italy (the same for Greece on your way back) at the afternoon (1500h) for overnight travel (both from Brindisi and Bari). Arrival in the morning (1000h) in Patras. Take a free regional train to Athens (3:30h).
have a look of the ferries companies websites to find out the exact schedules.
in Greece you have to pay attention, not to use the IC, ICE trains as you have to pay supplements for them: http://www.raildude.com/en/greece/inter ... plement/gr - the supplement depends on the distance.
for more details about traveling Patras to Athens and back: patras-athens-train-bus-t1251.html
have fun, Peter :)
Peter
Raildude

Postby whimz » 01 Apr 2009 - 15:13

Hi,

I'm thinking of using the patras - venice ferry route. just wondering how long it will take and how many days pass would it take up as i'm planning to buy the 10 days travel in 22 days global pass this summer. Do you think it'll be worth it? Any advice would be most appreciated! :)

Thank you!
whimz

Re: FERRY: Italy - Greece (Bari, Ancona, Igoumenitsa, Patras

Postby Peter » 01 Apr 2009 - 15:28

Hi ...
The timetables for Minoan Lines are here: www.minoan.gr/index.asp?a_id=1943
You need either the departure day or the arrival day (as it goes over night) as one of your travel days. But as you have to reach Patras by train ( patras-athens-train-bus-t1251.html ) you normally need one of your travel days.
Peter :)
Peter
Raildude

Postby VolatileWorld » 06 Apr 2009 - 19:01

Does Greece Plus Pass apply when using ferry not only Greece->Italy, but also Italy->Greece? Thank you
VolatileWorld

Postby Peter » 07 Apr 2009 - 08:04

yes... both directions !! :)
Peter
Raildude

Postby Iristja » 25 Apr 2009 - 19:06

wich station in Bari do I have to go too? I am searching on the ferry website but cant find it.. :(
Iristja

Postby Peter » 25 Apr 2009 - 20:09

It is "Bari Central Station". You have to walk either 45 minutes (3 km) to the ferry terminal or use the bus Nr.20.
Peter
Raildude

Postby Iristja » 30 Apr 2009 - 23:28

Ok thank you, I have been taking the buss.. after asking to many people if they speak english they could tell me I had to take bus 20/! Then I wanted to buy an ticket, he said BBBBB, so I said, bus? yes yes yes,, he ment bar ;) But the busdriver was really nice so I could travel without a ticket

It was a nice trip, it was not very busy so instead of the deckplaces if just been sleeping in the airplane seats :)
Iristja

Postby italia » 20 Jun 2009 - 18:16

Hello :)

I'm Mihai and I would really appreciate your help on this matter as my example will be quite different than,
what I've read so far .... and I cannot find an answer :) thought I will check more for it :)

I have some free tickets like InterRail stuff, they are called FIP cause my father works in the railway system in Romania,
I have 4 days free pass using the trains in these 2 countries: Italy and Greece, do you have any idea if I can use these ferries
from Bari-Patras ? on almost the same agreements as InterRail .....

Cause as far as I see it, we've been presented different passes .... for travelling in these 2 countries....and I guess it's
also related to it somehow :)

If I can't use them....can you tell me the cheapest option to get from Bari-> Patras and Patras-> Bari. I will take in considerance
Patras-venice if I'll afford it :)

Thanks in advance :)

Becks
italia

Postby italia » 20 Jun 2009 - 18:22

and another thing ....just as a fact.... I forgot to mention that based on these FIP passes that I have :) I've been crossing from
Calabria to Sicily , I took the train 4 years ago, train Roma-Palermo and our train was somehow introduced in the
ferry ....and the FIP passses were quite ok, but this can also be because .... we were still in the train....even if the
train was placed on the ferry to arrive in Sivily ....

Still I would appreciate if you can help me on the Bari-Patras issue :P

Becks

my 2 cents
italia

Postby flow » 20 Jun 2009 - 18:27

You will get a 50% discount on all types of ticekts - deck, cabin etc, in addition you have to pay port and fuel taxes.

On the ferry to Sicily you didnt have to pay because you were still on the train - the train runs through to Sicily without changing their number or anything.

And by the way, traveling with FIP - am I jealous! :wink:
flow
Raildude

Postby italia » 21 Jun 2009 - 11:54

I suppose that (50% discount on all types of tickets - deck, cabin etc), I can't get it online.....
I guess I should go to the "Bari Central Station" and show them my FIP pass for Italy and Greece
and then they will 50 % out of the 53 euro (the deck price) and then I will add:

20 EUR per person + port dues 7.00 EUR + fuel surcharge, 10 EUR

and my total price will be around 63, 5 euro one way :) Did I got it right ?

and by the way...have you actually seen some people get discounts on this route with FIP ? or
you heard some gossips or you just assume I should get a discound :)

italia

Postby flow » 21 Jun 2009 - 12:06

Just search for it on their website:
http://www.superfast.com/site/content.a ... =879&loc=2

As you can see, there's a link "Book online", I didn't check it out but you may try your luck. :)

Your bill seems correct however fuel and port taxes are subject to change more or less frequently.
flow
Raildude

Postby Leika » 21 Jun 2009 - 16:23

Hi.. I'm trying to book for Bari -Patras on 15th August 2009 at the travel agent, but they told me that all (deck, aircraft seat cabin, etc.) are booked. So that mean we cannot just show up at the harbour and want to travel with the ferry isn't? Or they also have open contingen for people who show up without booking?

Thanks, Leika
Leika

Postby flow » 21 Jun 2009 - 16:30

You should always get a deck passage if you're showing up at the terminal.
flow
Raildude

Postby OlegK » 22 Jun 2009 - 15:43

Hello!

A question, if I have a One Country Pass for Italy, could I have a discount to go from Bari to Corfu?

Thank you, Oleg.
OlegK

Postby Peter » 22 Jun 2009 - 18:21

Hi Oleg...
the answer is: no
sorry. Peter :)
Peter
Raildude

Postby OlegK » 22 Jun 2009 - 21:24

it's a pity. Thank you, Peter
OlegK

Postby Moody2210 » 29 Jun 2009 - 18:54

Hi

I am looking to visit Italy late July/early August, starting in Naples. We wanted to visit a few areas in Southern Italy, then catch a ferry to Greece. What would be the best way of doing this? Would i need a One country ticket or a InterCountry ticket? Are the ferries to Greece free? It all seems a bit confusing! :)

Many thanks

James Moody
Moody2210

Postby Peter » 29 Jun 2009 - 19:10

Hi James ...
if you want to use the ferry Italy-Greece you either need:
- an "ONE Country Pass GREECE PLUS"
- or a "GLOBAL InterRail Pass"

if you only travel Italy and Greece, the "ONE Country Pass ITALY" plus the "ONE Country Pass GREECE PLUS" would be a good solution for you.

the ferry is "free". but: you have to pay a "fuel supplements" and "port tax" ... both "supplements" are added to all ferry tickets, it doesn't matter if you have regular tickets or the "free InterRail" ones.
it is like on the cheap airline companies... one extra here, an other there... an do on ... ;)
you simply can't avoid it.
but it is still cheap travelling with the ferry - and as well fun!
for details about the exact "Supplements" of the ferry connection have a look at the beginning of this topic.
Peter :)
Peter
Raildude

Postby Dani8787 » 07 Jul 2009 - 21:15

Hey!

I was wondering if someone could answer me two questions (the 1st one isn't necessarily related to this topic =/) :

1. I'll be catching an overnight train from Milano to Bari and i checked the timetable at Trenitalia website, but i can't find information about whether I need reservation for that train or not...I know i can ask at the station..but i'd like to know how to find out ..so i can use that knowledge in other railway companies' websites..

2. I checked on superfast ferries website and for example for the 7th of august there are no more places in the ferry from Bari to Patras. I won't travel on that day but I'm afraid if i don't buy my ticket in advance I might get there and there might be no places left. What i'd like to know is if you advise me to buy my ticket now or not. I'll buy the global railway pass, so i can get a free ticket (except for the supplements), can i get that free ticket online?
and by the way is that deck place..really in the deck? like open air deck? i can't find information about it as well.

Thanks in advance.
Dani8787

Postby SiDUDe » 07 Jul 2009 - 21:35

1) Yes, they are all compulsory reservation, the 2040 has seats whereas the 2100 and 2300 only have couchettes and sleepers, I think...

2) Ive never heard of anyone not getting on the ship for a deck ticket, even in high season.
SiDUDe
special user

Postby Dani8787 » 07 Jul 2009 - 22:20

thanks! by the way do you think it'll be enough to buy the reservations in the morning? i mean in milan and other cities as well..
Dani8787

Postby andee » 13 Jul 2009 - 18:46

hola!
We want to go from bari to patras and continue to athens immediately. same thing we do the other way a few weeks later. problem:
-we thought about taking a greeceplus interrail so we'd have the ferry included and do the whole thing from bari to athens for about 75,-
-but: now i'm finding out that the ferry, when you got a greeceplus, is about 37,- one-way just for taxes highseasonsupplement and whatever.
thats about all together 150,- for the whole thing.
i find it kinda strange, that taking the "free" ferry is only some 8 euro cheaper than without the greeceplus. (normally the ferry is 45,- oneway)
so, what i'm asking is: is the ferry really ~37,-? because the whole idea of including a "free" ferry from italy to greece seems a bit absurd then?

thanks, bye, good trip,
andi from vienna
andee

Postby Peter » 13 Jul 2009 - 19:01

Hi Andi ...
I think it is important to keep in mind that InterRail is a RAIL ticket - not a ferry ticket.
So every EURO you save is welcome - and of course big companies which allow in winter, spring and autumn seasons free use of their ferries, doing their main business in summer with the tourist, have to earn somewhere and some when their money. :|
And if you compare the freedom and flexibility of InterRail (even if you do not get a full free travel in high season) with prices of other travel opportunities, you still save a lot of money. Nothing is free in live. ;)
Have a great trip, Peter :)
Peter
Raildude

Postby andee » 13 Jul 2009 - 19:39

hm,
when you just go to the website of superfastferries and do online-booking for a twoway bari-patras and enter youth (12-25yrs) you even get the ticket for only 72,- (36 one-way). Probably you need an ISIC for that but they don't explicitly say so. also there is no information about included or excluded port taxes etc.
and: good information: on their website they say, that because of decreasing oil price fuel charges are not longer taken. of course they also say that theres the possibility that this changes all the time. well i'm not really wiser than before:)
does anyone have an idea of how much a train ticket from patras to athens is?

p.s. does "both "supplements" are added to all ferry tickets", as you said above mean that if we buy tickets for the 72,- we#d still have to add the abou 80,- taxes etc. at the harbor?
because that would mean that if we go by greeceplus ticket we'd really have kinda "free" tickets, und es würde sich doch auszahlen (don't know that in english but i see youre from germany)
thanks again for the help and the faast responses
andee

Next

Return to Italy