Raildude - InterRail - EuRail - Train tickets
Raildude Facebook
Raildude Google
Raildude Twitter
Raildude Pinterest
Raildude Youtube
Plan it... Book it! It's that easy to travel by train in Europe.
Raildude is official online partner of Deutsche Bahn
Raildude is official online partner of Deutsche Bahn
Train tickets
SPAIN
RENFE
Train tickets
RUSSIA
RZD
Eurostar
Thalys
B-RAIL
BOOKING.COM
Buy InterRail
buy InterRail
Train tickets
GERMANY
DEUTSCHE BAHN
Train tickets
FRANCE
SNCF
Train tickets
SCANDINAVIA
SCANDINAVIA
Train tickets
NETHERLANDS
NS
Hostelbookers
Buy EuRail
buy EuRail
Train tickets
ITALY
TRENITALIA
Point to point tickets
point to point tickets
Raildude - Dudes
Raildude at Facebook
Hostelworld

PARIS - LONDON | FERRY: France (Calais) - UK (Dover)

Postby Peter » 22 Jun 2008 - 10:17

To avoid the expensive direct train from Paris to London (Eurostar - a supplement of 70 EUR one-way - paris-london-eurostar-t1806.html ) you can use a ferry. It is slower, but also very nice and especially cheaper!

The best ferry connection is between CALAIS (France) and DOVER (UK).
NEW INFORMATION: http://www.raildude.com/en/calais-dover ... y/12209/21

UPDATE: Seafrance stopped the transport of foot passengers in November 2009.
So the InterRail discounted connection got lost.
Now there is only the not discounted connection by P&O Ferries available.
The fare was usually EUR 18 - one way: http://www.poferries.com

IMPORTANT (July 2010): currently the online one-way-fare is EUR 39 by P&O - so really expensive.
You have to buy a RETURN-ticket for the same day. The fare is then between EUR 12-16.
Select as currency GBP, otherwise it will be much more expensive.
As it is not totally clear if your credit card will be charged when not doing a return travel, we recommend to buy the ticket directly at the ticket window at the harbour - ask for a discount - travellers told, you will get one for EUR 17.

UPDATE: http://www.raildude.com/en/train-connec ... kingdom/70

:arrow: Information PARIS to CALAIS

Paris Gare du Nord to Calais Ville:
if travelling with regional trains to avoid supplements you will need about 3:30h. There are some direct TGVs with 1:40h of travel time.

Calais Ville to the ferry terminal:

WALK: it is a 25 minutes walk. Leave the station, cross the place and street in front of you. Walk the smaller street at the left of the hotel. Follow the signs "car ferry".

BUS: EUR 2,00 - 10 minutes.
Departure times at ferry terminal: 1000, 1105, 1205, 1250, 1405, 1520, 1620, 1705, 1805, 1940.
Departure times at the station Calais Ville: 1010, 1115, 1215, 1300, 1420, 1530, 1630, 1715, 1815, 1950

TAXI: is about EUR 8,00 to EUR 10,00 and will need 5 minutes.

Calais Ferry Terminal:

You have to use a really small way to get into the ferry terminal. There is a lane for cars beside.

Check in time of for the ferry is: 45 minutes before departure.

:arrow: FERRY Calais to Dover
It is a journey of 1:30h. For departure times have a look at the P&O Ferries website: http://www.poferries.com

:arrow: Information LONDON to DOVER

London Victoria / London Charing Cross to Dover Priory
There are trains running every 30 minutes. The train journey is 1:30h to 2:00h. You will arrive at Dover Priory.

Dover Priory to Dover Eastern Docks
WALK: it is a walk of about 30 minutes. Follow the signs ("Ferry Terminal" or "City Centre").
BUS: the bus is running every 15 minutes (leaves directly in front of the station - ends directly in front of the doors of the terminal). it is between GBP 1,00 and GBP 2,00.
TAXI: about GBP 6,00

:!: OVERNIGHT: if you arrive late in the evening at Calais, the cheapest place to sleep in Calais is the hotel directly in front of the station called "Bonsai Hotel" (phone: +33 321 96 10 10 | room for 2 persons: EUR 40, room for 3 persons: EUR 43).

:idea: Due to the rising prices of the ferry, it is recommended to use an overnight bus from Paris to London: http://www.raildude.com/en/train-connec ... kingdom/70

Update: Sep 2013
Peter
Raildude

Hostelbookers - Book online
Cheap hostels and more types of accommodation for the whole of Europe. Book easily and quickly in advance. Including ratings of each location.
Book online
Book online
Book online

Re: FERRY: France (Calais) to UK (Dover) | PARIS to LONDON

Postby flow » 15 May 2009 - 19:38

I'd like to add two things:

- The ferries (both P&O and SeaFrance) do not accept foot passengers on night connections; this applies to the period between ~1900 and ~0800.

- If you want to save a night on your trip from/to the UK and dont want to spend the money on a hotel, you usually are allowed to stay at the ferry terminal in calais and stay there.
flow
Raildude

Re: PARIS - LONDON | FERRY: France (Calais) - UK (Dover)

Postby pete8888 » 27 Aug 2009 - 12:33

Will they allow foot passengers on the 07.43 crossing do you think? Also is there a direct train from calais to paris because all I have found is a journey that includes about 4 changes?

Cheers
pete8888

Postby Peter » 27 Aug 2009 - 15:03

hi...
Foot passengers are allowed on the 0743h ferry.
You have at least every hour one connection from "Calais Ville" by free Regional Express train to LILLE - there you change to the TGV ( http://www.raildude.com/en/france/inter ... plement/fr ). Buy this supplement either in Calais or if possible already some days in advance.
Peter :)
Peter
Raildude

Postby flow » 26 Oct 2009 - 20:53

Today I've got bad news in my email:

Seafrance is not accepting foot passengers anymore.

They say it's because they dont have any shuttle buses available... :x

Flo 8)
flow
Raildude

Postby lizavfc » 16 Jan 2010 - 22:43

Hi :)
What is the best train route to take from Calais to Paris this July? And how much will it cost?
thank you :)
lizavfc
standard

Postby flow » 16 Jan 2010 - 22:52

Hi!

There is a single direct TGV Calais Ville - Paris Nord leaving at 1235 Mon-Sat as well as several TGV Boulogne - Paris Nord which stop at Calais Fréthun - there is a bus shuttle service from Calais Ville to Fréthun. Other options include taking a TER to Hazebrouck where you can change to a TGV to Paris or taking a TER to Lille where you have a Paris-bound TGV at least once an hour.
Note that you will have to get a reservation for the TGV which will cost 3 or 10€, depending on off-peak/peak travel.
However, there are supplement-free connections available as well, running via Boulogne and Amiens.

You can check the schedules online, check this link: http://www.raildude.com/en/interrail-tr ... tions.html

The TGV connections will be faster than the route via Boulogne and Amiens but you will need a reservation. I'd recommend taking the TGV if there are free seats and if they cost 3€ - if you don't get a reservation or if it costs 10€ then I'd recommend going via Boulogne - Amiens for free. :)

If you have further questions after consulting the online schedule planner, let me know.

Flo 8)
flow
Raildude

Postby ademir » 11 Apr 2011 - 13:41

Hey guys!
I think I have a problem now. The price for foot passenger from Calais to Dover seems to be 29 Pounds! And if you buy same day return it's 29+29=58!!!

It only seems cheap when you make a trip from Dover to Calais. Then return ticket is 6+6=12 Pounds..

I'm not really sure if I can buy it like Dover to Calais direction and use only the return leg from Calais. I have a feeling that they would cancel my ticket as it'll be obvious that i didnt use the first leg.

Do you have any ideas??
What happens when you buy it from the port? Should i ask for a daytrip ticket also there?

Thanks!
Ali
ademir

Return to France