Raildude - InterRail - EuRail - Train tickets
Raildude - JOB
Raildude Facebook
Raildude Google
Raildude Twitter
Raildude Pinterest
Raildude Youtube
Raildude
Plan it... Book it! It's that easy to travel by train in Europe.
Raildude is official online partner of Deutsche Bahn
Raildude is official online partner of Deutsche Bahn
Train tickets
SPAIN
RENFE
Train tickets
RUSSIA
RZD
Eurostar
Thalys
B-RAIL
BOOKING.COM
Buy InterRail
buy InterRail
Train tickets
GERMANY
DEUTSCHE BAHN
Train tickets
FRANCE
SNCF
Train tickets
SCANDINAVIA
SCANDINAVIA
Train tickets
NETHERLANDS
NS
Hostelbookers
Buy EuRail
buy EuRail
Train tickets
ITALY
TRENITALIA
Point to point tickets
point to point tickets
Raildude - Dudes
Raildude at Facebook
Hostelworld
Everything beside train information: accommodation, travel literature, documents, money, security, tent, backpack, sleeping bag, shoes and other topics.

Prepaid money cards or bank card ?

Postby Toshiya » 16 Jun 2012 - 13:07

Hi all!

Last question about my trip - I promise! :mrgreen:
My friends and I are going on our trip in just under 3 weeks now, and I'm wondering about how to take my money with me. I've changed up a bit of cash (I have 250 euros) to take with me at first. I was wondering how else to get money - I've seen those prepaid money cards but I don't want to have a set amount of money available. I don't actually know how much I'm going to need as a total.
I have 2 Visa debit cards that my 2 banks issued me that I use to withdraw money from ATMs in England - would you recommend that I use these to withdraw money abroad? I'm not fussed by fees, I don't think my banks charge me much, and was thinking of making one or two withdrawals only (when I run out of money, withdraw say, 200 euro that will last me for a while instead of withdrawing money every day).
I know to use cashpoints abroad your card has to say certain things - are Visa debits acceptable?

Thanks!
Charlotte
Toshiya
standard

Hostelbookers - Book online
Cheap hostels and more types of accommodation for the whole of Europe. Book easily and quickly in advance. Including ratings of each location.
Book online
Book online
Book online

Postby nltrainer » 29 Jun 2012 - 13:10

you should have asked this at YOUR bank-and clearly state in which country you live and what bank you have when asking here. and DO (yes, do-dont be a twat that they can rob money off) also enquire as to what cost they have for foreign withdrawal-it may be much more as you now seem to think-again a case that we €users do not have to deal with.
these prepaid cards seem to be a tipical Brit thing and mostly have very high hidden costs-avoid them if at all possible. i cannot really see any advantage they have vs your normal bankcard, which for most you should be able to use-for direct paying or for cash withdrawals, as you would do in UK.
I really do not uderstand your last Q about what cards have ''to say''_I have never encountered a talking card. What cards should have (to the utter surprise of backward USAers) is a golden chip en a PIN with it-which UK was about the first one to adapt to.
nltrainer
standard

Prepaid money cards help needed

Postby smile234 » 20 Aug 2012 - 01:31

Hi

is a prepaid money card the best option , can it be used to pay for hostels on arrival the reason why i ask is 1. for obvious reasons i dont want to carry lots of money on me. my second reason why im thinking this way is that with a prepaid card its not linked to your personal bank so its not such a big deal if it gets lost or stolen or am i still better taking my own personal credit card or visa bank card tht is linked to me its from the travel agents this prepaid mastercard is from that i load money on too. and if you think this is the best option what questions should i be asking the travel agent before I go ahead any advice on this would be great .
smile234
standard

Return to Planning and organization