Raildude - InterRail - EuRail - Train tickets
Raildude Facebook
Raildude Google
Raildude Twitter
Raildude Pinterest
Raildude Youtube
Raildude
Plan it... Book it! It's that easy to travel by train in Europe.
Raildude is official online partner of Deutsche Bahn
Raildude is official online partner of Deutsche Bahn
Train tickets
SPAIN
RENFE
Train tickets
RUSSIA
RZD
Eurostar
Thalys
B-RAIL
BOOKING.COM
Buy InterRail
buy InterRail
Train tickets
GERMANY
DEUTSCHE BAHN
Train tickets
FRANCE
SNCF
Train tickets
SCANDINAVIA
SCANDINAVIA
Train tickets
NETHERLANDS
NS
Hostelbookers
Buy EuRail
buy EuRail
Train tickets
ITALY
TRENITALIA
Point to point tickets
point to point tickets
Raildude - Dudes
Raildude at Facebook
Hostelworld

VIENNA-ATHENS

VIENNA-ATHENS

Postby noora07 » 07 Mar 2010 - 19:11

Hi,
I'm travelling to Athens in about three weeks (end of March) and wondering how 'exhausting' the train connection between Vienna and Athens is. How many stops should I take between the cities? Does anyone have experience? I'm heading to Athens, staying there maybe a week and then coming back to Vienna. Does someone know how much this would aproximately cost, without any interrail pass?

thanks already for helping me,
noora
noora07

BOOKING.COM - Book online
Good hotels for the whole of Europe. Book easily and quickly in advance. Including ratings of each location.
Book online
Book online
Book online

Vienna - Athens

Postby Peter » 07 Mar 2010 - 19:21

Hi Noora...

I can't give you details about fares without InterRail - as we are an InterRail forum. Not a general rail forum. ;)

To your journey:

Vienna-Sofia: vienna-sofia-night-train-t1846.html
Sofia-Athens: sofia-athens-night-train-t3440.html

Peter :)
Peter
Raildude

Vienna - Athens

Postby flow » 07 Mar 2010 - 20:55

If you want to to this by InterRail, the 5in10 global pass would be the suiting choice - it's 159€. You will have to pay some additional supplements though, so I'd estimate the costs at about ~200€.
The trip lasts about 33 hours, depending on which connection you take. If you want to make a stopover along the route I'd say Budapest or Beograd would be good choices.
flow
Raildude

Vienna - Athens

Postby noora07 » 08 Mar 2010 - 13:55

first of all, thanks for answering so quick!

Yes I'm aware that it's an interrail forum, but I thought asking wouldn't harm :)
I'm also considering coming back via Italy (by ferry), so I wouldn't have to take the same route twice. Could I use the same 5in10 pass in this option? Does someone know how the ferry connection is?

I wouldn't want to flight, but I'm also considering that option at this point...because I'm not sure I want to travel a long way twice IF it's a boring one. But, on the other hand, flying in one direction wouldn't make any sense, if I already got the interrail pass.

Hmm...I'm a bit late planning all this, but it all came quite spontanious. So, if someone has ANY suggestions, in addition to the last ones, I'm very thankful!
noora07

Vienna - Athens

Postby Peter » 08 Mar 2010 - 14:20

Concerning the ferry connection have a look here:
patras-athens-train-bus-t1251.html
ferry-greece-italy-patras-bari-ancona-venice-t1348.html

Then travel up to the North. And from there use for example a night train.
Roma-Vienna: rome-vienna-night-train-t1418.html
Venice-Vienna: venice-vienna-night-train-t3672.html

If you use a bus from Athens to Patras (see link above), you can use the ferry (fill in the arrival date in Italy as travel day - it is an overnight ferry and either the departure or arrival day has to be one of your InterRail travel days). Then you can do the travel ATHENS [bus] PATRAS [ferry] BARI [train] ROME / VENICE in only ONE travel day.
And for the night train ROME / VENICE to VIENNA it is as well only ONE travel day using this rule: 1900h-rule-night-train-t1024.html

Peter :)
Peter
Raildude

Return to Austria